Copied from Volume two of the book:
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF
- Selection of County
Seat - City Government - City
The County of Miami, being organized in 1807, the task confronting the fathers at that time was the selection of a county seat. After a protracted struggle between Piqua, Staunton and Troy, the latter place was selected. At that time Troy was indeed a primitive community, but with the advent of the county seat, the growth became steady and it began to attract many new forces. As set forth elsewhere in the general county history, Jesse Newport, Daniel Wilson and Joseph Lamb were appointed by the court as commissioners to select a location. They decided on what is now Troy, and Robert Crawford was appointed director to purchase and survey the site selected. It was bought from Aaron Tullis, William Barbee, Alexander McCullough and W. H. Gahagan. Andrew Wallace was appointed to survey the land, and he filed his first plat December 2, 1807. The first house to be built in Troy was that of Benjamin Overfield, erected on the corner of Water and Mulberry streets. The county court was held at this place for a number of years before the erection of its first courthouse. This was a log structure, two stories in height, a part of which was used as a tavern and for a number of years by Mr.Overfield, the upper floor of which was used as a court room. This tavern was the "Forum" in which questions of the day were debated and was often used for prayer meeting, the celebrated revivalist of that time, Mr. Reuben Dooley, often exhorting his hearers in the barroom of the tavern, Mr. Overfield was also the proprietor of the popular hostelry at the corner of Main and Cherry streets until his death in 1831.
William Barbee, or Billy Barbee, as he was familiarly known, was the first blacksmith in Troy. Despite the fact that he knew little of blacksmithing at the start, he succeeded remarkably well and earned a substantial competence. He subsequently engaged in the dry goods business with Dr. Telford and Moses L. Meeker as partners. Squire Brown, a resident of Staunton, removed to Troy and opened a saddlery and later became justice of the peace. Isaac Peck, Henry Culbertson, Joseph Skinner and Judge Joseph Pearson, also of Troy, learned the saddler's trade under Squire Brown. In 1808 Joseph Culbertson engaged in the making and selling of wool hats, his brother Samuel and Joseph B. Fennery serving as apprentices. William Brown and John Wallace opened a carpenter shop in 1809 at the corner of Clay and Water streets. The first dry goods store was located at the Square and Market street and the first hardware store was started next door and operated by Uncle Mac Hart, which later became the Hart & Harter store and subsequently was taken over by Harter and Cosley and later by H.A. Cosley and is still being operated under this name. Uncle "Bobby" Caldron was another pioneer merchant, who for years kept a knickknack store. The first tannery in Troy was that of Milton McCampbell, located on the corner of Market and Water streets.
Dr. De Joncourt, one of the first physicians to practice in Troy, was of French extraction and "bled" the community literally, but not in the latter-day sense. Dr. Asa Coleman settled here in 1811 and immediately began the practice of medicine.
Troy early began to feel the need of educational facilities and a school was established in 1813. It was housed in the little log house at Market and Water streets. John G. Clarke was in charge of this school in 1816. Micajah Fairfield, Uriah Fordyce, Mary Barney and George Burgess were among the earlier teachers. The first places of worship were in the homes of the adherents of the different sects, the taverns also being frequently used for prayermeetings. The Methodists were the first to build a place of worship, erecting a log church in 1812 near Main and Clay streets. The building of the Miami canal ushered in a new era in the life of Troy and placed it in touch with the outside markets, when it began to enjoy a new period of prosperity. After the completion of the canal to Troy in 1837 the business life of the little village began to assume splendid proportions. A review of the business in Troy in 1847 notes the following items for the previous year: The transactions of thirty of the leading business houses by purchase of goods, manufactures and produce totaled $523,238; sales, $674,307. The following articles bought and sold during the same period were: 174,000 bushels of wheat, 290,000 bushels of corn, 100,000 bushels of rye, barley and oats, 17,000 barrels of flour, 1,300 barrels of pork, 5,000 hogs, 31,000 pounds of butter, 2,000 bushels of coal, 600 barrels of fish, 3,000 barrels of salt, 30,000 bushels of flaxseed, 304,000 pounds of bulk pork and 136,000 pounds of lard. The trade and commerce of Troy having developed to a great extent, the canal became inadequate as an outlet and the railroads furnished the next solution. In 1850 the first railroad train entered Troy from Dayton, which marked the beginning of the end of canal traffic. Among the early manufacturing establishments of Troy were Beedle & Kelley's Agricultural Implement works, the Troy Spring Wagon and Wheel company, the Troy Buggy works, Kelley & Sons, manufacturers of windmills. The first foundry was built in 1838 by John Smeltzer. Crulkshank Bros., coopers, turned out immense quantities of barrels, kegs, casks and tubs. Other early industries were the Miami foundry, the Troy flax factory, the Wilmington plow works and Vandergrift's planing mill.
On June 16, 1885, the cornerstone of the present courthouse was laid. This was a gala day for Troy and for the county in general. This cornerstone marked the final triumph of Troy over her old time adversary, Piqua, for possession of the county seat and the end of the courthouse war as well as the inauguration of the era of good feeling between the two cities. The day was attended with many ceremonies, visiting delegations from surrounding cities attended in a body and a grand procession was held, which was participated in by the delegations, citizens and military organizations. The orator of the day was Elihu S. Williams, who paid tribute to the achievements of Miami county and its good citizens. The new courthouse was designed by J. W. Yost, of Columbus, Ohio, and erected under the direction of T. B. Townsend of Zanesville. The square in which it stands measures 230 by 330 feet, the courthouse itself measuring 114 feet 2 inches square; from the ground to the eaves it is sixty feet in height, and from the ground to the dome 160 feet. The total cost of this building was about $400,000, and it is considered to be one of the finest buildings of its kind in the country.
The civic government of Troy is divided into a number of distinct departments or committees, the chief elective officials being the mayor, city auditor, city solicitor and city treasurer. The council consists of three councilmen-at- large and four ward councilmen the latter being elective. Other municipal officers are the director of public service and his assistants, who have supervision over all works of a public nature, both in construction and maintenance. The board of public safety includes a director, the chiefs of the police and fire departments. The civil service commission of four members pass on the qualifications of all applicants for service in the city's employ. There is also a board of health, a board of education, sinking fund trustees, park commission and public library appointees. The present population of Troy is about 8,000 persons.
The public library of Troy was formally opened to the public on December 5, 1896, in an upstairs room in the city hall, the number of volumes at that time being 2,111. On May 1, 1903, the library was opened in its present quarters on the lower floor of the City building, where it has ample quarters for all present needs. On the opening of the new quarters a book shower was held which resulted in the donation of thirteen hundred volumes and a subscription of $1,051.50 to the fund for the purchase of new books. Miss Clara Williams was the first librarian and she was succeeded March 1, 1918, by Miss Blanche Mitchell, the present librarian. The library now has 18,054 volumes of well-selected works.
The Masonic building, located on Main street, is without question the finest building in Troy, and the Masons in point of membership and general activity of its members have always been the strongest lodge in Troy. The Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Eagles, Red Men, Elks, Woodmen of the World, Junior Order United Mechanics and Knights of the Golden Eagles are also prominent as to membership and activity. The auxiliary lodges, Pocahontas, Rebekahs and Eastern Star, add to the social activities of this community and have been prominent in civic betterment and philanthropic work.
Troy for many years was noted as a manufacturing center for carriage, buggy and other horse-drawn vehicles, not only for its number of factories given to this line of work, but to the general excellence of their products. When the horse-drawn vehicle business was at its zenith, the well-known Troy farm wagons, buggies, carriages, etc., could be seen in service in all parts of the country. With the introduction of gasoline-driven vehicles, these industries quite naturally began to suffer , and, from a city given almost wholly to the production of horse-drawn vehicles and their accessories, Troy began to gradually enter other manufacturing fields, especially supplanting her former industries with those producing automotive parts. It will be seen in the review of Troy industries that this city is gradually acquiring a diversified class of manufacturing establishments. The World War gave to Troy a decided impetus to manufacture. A number of thriving industries of today which had their inception in war production are now firmly placed and doing a thriving business in every-day necessities. Troy, however, still holds supremacy in one or two features connected with horse-drawn vehicles. A branch factory of the only factory in the world exclusively manufacturing carriage dashes is still doing a large manufacturing business. The making of auto truck trailers is rapidly becoming a decided Troy industry, many of which were used during the recent war. At no distant day, perhaps, Troy will be as well known for its automotive feature as it was formerly known in the carriage and wagon field. The industrial contribution to the recent war of many of the industries of Troy has a very creditable showing.
The Troy Wagon works was organized as such May 8, 1891. In 1884 the Beedle & Kelly company sold out to the Troy Wagon company, which later became the Troy Wagon Works company with in original incorporation of $50,000. The Troy wagon became famous throughout the country and was seen in every state in the union and has always had ail immense patronage in spite of the sternest kind of competition. The stock of this company was subsequently increased to $1,600,000. The company became builders of farm wagons, dump wagons and slow speed hauling wagons. From 1911 to 1914 a great deal of attention was devoted to the creation of a superior auto trailer and this later became the most important feature of this business. The first contract for motor truck trailers was secured from the government of France in 1915 and this contract continued until the signing of the armistice in 1918. During the duration of the world war ninety per cent of the manufacturing capacity of this plant was devoted to war work. In 1892 the Troy Wagon company was absorbed by the Troy Wagon works and is now occupying the building formerly used by the Troy Wagon company. The officers of the Troy Wagon works are: President, C. A. Geiger; vice-president, C. N. Peters : secretary-treasurer, G. R. Harris; directors, C. C. Hayner, R. C. Sykes and A. O. Brown.
Overhead irrigation is the one certain panacea for the lack of rain. To the truck farmer, gardener, florist, it is the best insurance of their crops that may be secured. This irrigation system is accomplished by the use o f a system of overhead pipes running parallel above the acreage or plot of ground to be irrigated. At stated times the water is released, providing a veritable downpour of rain, or as much as is deemed necessary. The Skinner Irrigation company of Troy has produced a splendid system of overhead irrigation. It has equipped a number of estates, aside from the regular commercial demand for its product. Among the estates so equipped is one at Three Rivers, Mich., belonging to H. L. Kellogg, the breakfast food mantifacttuer; as is also the estate of E. L. Thompson and the Talbot farm near Dayton. The officers of this company are: President, W. W. Coles; secretary- treasurer, P. H. Bridge; vice-president, W. T. Thompson. The Skinner company was also engaged in war work during the recent war, working for local concerns who held war contracts.
The Troy Body company was organized February 1, 1919. It was the outgrowth of the Troy Manufacturing company, which did extensive work on war contracts during the late war. manufacturing one hundred different parts used in the making of aeroplanes. The Troy Manufacturing company filled its contracts in a most creditable manner. On the cessation of hostilities, this company was merged with the Troy Body company, the latter concern now devoting its entire attention to the making of superior automobile bodies. In the very short time since its organization the Troy Body company has met with signal success and now employes a force of 250 men. Its product is receiving attention from the foremost makers of cars in the country. Among the prominent users of its bodies are the makers of the Grant and Liberty cars. A total of nine different makes of cars are now equipped with bodies made by the Troy Body company. The officers of this concern are: President, C. C. Cross; vice-president, W. E. Bowvcr: secretary and treasurer, W. J. Kroger.
The Miami Specialty Works was organized in 1919 for the purpose of building truck bodies and drivers' cabs. This concern, though in its infancy, has secured substantial recognition in the automobile world for the excellence of their products. The building of bodies is now generally recognized as a feature that requires the highest specialization. Very few automobile manufacturers build their machines entire, looking to these specialists for the various parts in a particular line. There is no feature requiring more care, knowledge and attention to details than the body building of the automobile. It is the artistic feature of the car. Its grace of outline and appearance in general gives the automobile distinction. The organizers of this concern, fully aware of the tremendous field for a thoroughgoing, conscientious organization, established the above concern in 1919. They have specialized on truck bodies, but give their attention to other lines of work in automobile building. Despite the very short time, however, they have been in this field, they have secured substantial contracts from the International Harvester company and also make trucks for the Indiana and Nash Trucks. The officers are: Clyde Statler, president; Louis Schuh, vice-pres ident, and L. R. Stoner, secretary.
H. D. Cress Company
Although a modest concern at this time, is gradually expanding; its business drawing patronage from many places throughout the country. They make wood and metal patterns of recognized excellence. This concern was organized in 1906 and is owned and operated by Mr. S. N. Touchmann. A number of patterns were made and used in local and other concerns during the late war.
This company was organized in 1917 and now operates two factories at Troy, one of which is entirely given over to the manufacture of the well-known line of H-B office furniture, desks, filing cabinets, etc. The Water street plant manufactures motor generators and motor generator sets used for battery charging and naval use during the late war. The Willard Battery Service stations, Prest-O-Lite and other battery stations use the Hobart appliances for recharging their batteries. Both lines manufactured by the Hobart brothers are considered leaders by a wide and growing patronage. The officers of this company are: President, C. C. Hobart: vice-president, Edward A. Hobart; treasurer, Charles C. Hobart; secretary, W. H. Hobart.
Gummed materials of all kinds are manufactured by this concern-stickers, wrappers, sealing devices-in fact, anything gummed which you may use may have been made by this Troy concern, and, up to date, this concern has more than measured up to the chances in this field, their line being well known throughout the country. The Gummed Products company was organized in May, 1914, and the present officers are: President, Edward F. Herrlinger; treasurer, F. L. Holt; secretary, S. G. Leitsch.
The Hobart Manufacturing company was organized under its present form in 1912. In the manufacture of electrically operated food preparing machines, the Hobart company has achieved marked success. Among the items manufactured are: Electric coffee mills, electric meat choppers, electric kitchen machinery for large hotels, and many other electrical labor-saving devices. The Hobart goods were bought by the government for use on the battleships during the war, and is also being installed as regular navy equipment. This plant also manufactured control panels for aeroplanes, making seven thousand sets on government contract during the war. In 1918 the Hobart Manufacturing company established the Troy Metal Products company at Cincinnati for war work exclusively. It manufactured the, Adapter No. 2, a small device which was screwed in the ends of explosive shells. Seven hundred and fifty thousand of these were made and delivered during the war. The officers of the Hobart Manufacturing company are: President, A. G. Stouder; vice- president, H. L. Johnson; treasurer, E. E. Edgar; secretary, J. M. Spencer; production manager, C. C. Willard.
This company was organized September, 1915, and occupies a floor space of about 43,000 feet and is exclusively engaged in the making and selling of trailers for automobiles. During the war this plant was dedicated to war work and aside from the regular line which was in demand for war service, the company manufactured trench reel carriers, a device used in the trenches and for which this company had a substantial contract which was filled in a most creditable manner. The plant is now engaged in the making of trailers, a field which is today in its infancy and presents a splendid outlook for the future of this concern. Its progress has been very noticeable each year since its organization. The present officers are: Joseph Rebolz, president; John K. Knoop, vice-president; W. F. Jolly, secretary-treasurer.
has the unusual distinction of being the only company of its kind in the world making an exclusive line of buggy and carriage dashes and has always occupied a conspicuous place in the carriage and buggy manufacturing world, Despite the usurpation by the automobile, the McKinnon company has pursued the even tenor of its way, and today is a thriving concern, its product being still in great demand wherever carriages or buggies are manufactured. The local company is the outgrowth of the parent company of Btiffalo, N. Y. The Buffalo company was established in 189l, the McKinnon company having previously operated at St. Catherine's, Ontario, exclusively. The Buffalo company was established to care for the growing trade in the states. Two years later, in 1894, a factory was established at Columbus, Ohio, with Mr. L. H. McConnel in charge. In 1895 this plant was removed to Troy, Ohio, where it first occupied about 48.000 feet of floor space and to the original have have added a bout 20,000 feet, The present output is about 800 leather dashes per day, a very striking testimonial of the survival of horse-drawn vehicles to date. Mr. L. H. McConnel, who is in charge of the local plant, is a veteran in the carriage and buggy business, dating back many years ago when he was superintendent of the Haydock Bros. Carriage company of St. Louis.
is engaged in the making of gray iron castings and does a large business. Seventy-five per cent of the capacity of this plant was engaged in war work during the late war. This work was by indirect contract with local and other concerns which used castings an war material manufactured. The officers of the Star Foundry are: President, W. P. Anglemeyer; vice-president, A. F. Lockwood; secretary and treasurer, Jacob Lust.
Ohio Electric Specialty Manufacturing Co.
The phonograph, once considered a luxury, has now become a household necessity, nearly all homes of any pretension now owning one. Very few of the manufacturers in this line make the entire equipment; the motors especially, being a highly specialized industry. The Lorimer Manufacturing company of Troy is engaged in the making of phonograph motors, exclusively. This company, which was organized September 5, 1919, is developing into a substantial concern with a wide demand for its product. During the war, this concern, on sub-contract, manufactured trench wire carriers for the Miami Trailer company of Troy. The officers of the Lorimer Manufacturing company are: President, G. W. Lorimer; vice-president, G. R. Harris; secretary-treasurer, F. O. Flowers. The directors other than the officers, are: E. W. Jewell, C. N. Kincaid, H. L. Penn, C. N. Peters, and A. O. Judson is the production manager.
The Flood at Troy.
The Big Four tracks, constructed on a running embankment, were blown out, relieving the water congestion at that point. By three o'clock Tuesday the water began to slowly subside. By this time it had covered all the southwest district of the city, as far north as, and including, the Canal, and as far east as Plum street, leaving the east end of Water, Main, Franklin and their cross streets clear. From the Big Four railroad south, Walnut, Mullberry, Clay, Crawford and Union streets were gradually showing themselves above the water.
Numerous rescue parties under the direction of Sheriff Paul, Chief Headley, Service Director Davis, Fire Chief Sharp, and many volunteers worked unceasingly in their labor of rescue. With a heroic spirit these men, mindful of the perils of many lives, threw their own personal comfort and safety aside, and plunged into the work of rescue. They performed their work heroically and there were many feats of individual heroism. To enumerate any of these would be unjust to many others who shone with splendor in this occasion. With rumors afloat of the breaking of the Lewistown Reservoir; the absence of the electric light and gas Tuesday night was a night long to be remembered in the history of Troy. With the terrible experience of the preceding night, and momentarily expecting the mad rush of waters from the Lewistown dam, a terrible feeling of suspense pervaded the entire community, which was only lifted when those vague rumors were dissipated, on the receipt of definite information. Tuesday night while the flood was raging, an improvised organization was formed at the Troy club for the relief of the distressed. The meeting was called to order by Walter E. llowyer; Mayor McClain announced a general meeting of citizens to take place later and the preliminary meeting was adjourned. Thursday evening, Mayor McClain published the call for a general relief meeting which was held at the Mayor's office at 2 p.m. Friday, at which $5,000 was immediately subscribed, for temporary relief, with the assurance of more when needed. "Troy will take care of her own," was the slogan adopted. Walter Bowyer and Horace Allen were selected to organize a committee and they recommended Judge E. W. Maier for general chairman; John H. Drury, secretary and treasurer; executive committee, J. S. Combs, Horace Allen, Dr. W. Jones; these recommendations were unanimously approved.
The immediate needs of the community were discussed and suggestions were asked for. On motion of Mr. E. E. Edgar an immediate canvass for subscription was taken. Five thousand dollars were pledged. as a temporary fund, preliminary to the general canvass for subscription. The estimated amount necessary for general relief was placed at $100,000 for the relief of Troy and vicinity. After a week's suryey following the subsiding of the flood, the estimated amount of damages in Troy were as follows: Residence property, household and personal effects, $170,000; loss in merchandise stored in basement of stores, $40,000 to $45,000. Loss to factories in Troy, $150,000. The following were the known dead Thursday, April 3rd. Mr. and Mrs. Aaron Smock and child , West Market street; Henry Van Tuyl, West Market street; John Glass, Peters avenue; George Glass, Peters avenue; Mrs. Henriette Pearson, West Market street, Harry Hall, Fairgrounds; Mrs. Lydia Bolden, Nineveh; Mrs. Rachael Stewart, Nineveh; Robert Kinney; Edward (Ruben) Jones, Nineveh; George Bosewell, Fairgrounds; Mrs. Oliver Bolden Whitle, Nineveh: Josephine Stewart, Nineveh.
Among the merchants and manufacturers who sustained heavy losses were H. A. Cosley, Shaible & Smith, Gibson & Croner, H. M. Rinehardt, George Clawson, J. M. Grunder & Co., and Miller Bros. Outside the business district the grocery store of H. W. Doppler at Market and Race street, sustained a heavy damage: Young's grocery, May and Garfield streets, and Long's Grocery, West Main street, also suffered heavily. The factories which suffered severely were The Hobart Electric Manufacturing company, Allen & Wheeler, Troy Wagon works, The McKinnon Dasli company, Troy Foundry, Troy Carriage Sunshade company, Francis & Clemon company, W. W. Crowfoot company, and the establishment of L. A. Thomas, florist.
The second week after the flood found the situation very well defined. The needs of the community became apparent and by this time more than $10,000 had been subscribed. Greater subscriptions being withheld until the exact necessities were determined. The lodges volunteered to assist all members and many other private organizations were assisting in the relief independent of the general funds. The Troy physicians announced free medical service until May 1, 1913.
The first number of the Miami Reporter, one of the first newspapers to be published in Troy, was issued May 18, 1827, the editor being Micajah Fairfield. The early issues of this paper show the editor as a strict Abolitionist. He also takes a decided stand in favor of the election of John Quincy Adams as opposed to Andrew Jackson. There were one or two attempts to establish a newspaper prior to The Miami Reporter. About 1817 a small sheet was issued under the title of the Miami Weekly Post, edited by a Richard Armstrong. This plant was later purchased by Micajah Fairfield, when he established the Reporter.
The Troy Times was started in 1829, John Tullis being the first editor and owner, and he was succeeded by Richard Langdon. The times continued to serve the public until 1870. In 1865 John W. DeFrees started the Miami Union: in 1883 I.L. DeFrees took charge of this sheet and in 1886 it passed to the ownership of a stock company the controlling factors today being Pauley and McClung.
The Troy Sentinel, the first newspaper in this town to carry the Democratic standard, was first published in 1871 by J. A. McConahey and discontinued in 1880. The Imperial and the Bulliten rose and fell in quick succession. The Troy Democrat was established in 1880 by J. P. Barron and was later sold to M. K. Gantz and J. A. Kerr, subsequently passing into the hands of Charles H. Dale who is the present owner.
In 1891 The Buckeye was founded by Captain Elihu S. Williams. He later sold this paper, but in 1912 again took charge and continued its operation until his death; his daughter Ollie continuing its publication for some time after the death of her father. It eventually passed into the hands of H. A. Patiley and was consolidated with the Miami Union.
The Troy Chronicle and Daily Trojan were published by Dr. C. H. Goodrich. This publication was discontinued about 1885. The Troy Record was first published in 1897 by the Croy brothers and later by W. S. Croy and this was succeeded in 1917 by the Troy Daily Times which was discontinued in June, 1918. The Troy Daily News was founded by Charles Dale in 1909, and later sold to D. J. Moore and in May, 1919., Pauley and McClung took charge of it and continued its publication.
This club, the leading woman's organization of Troy, was organized March 13, 1894. Prior to 1899 its officers were chosen each month; Mrs. I. M. Lindenberger being the first president elected to serve a full year, the presidents subsequently elected to 1919 were: Mrs. A. F. Broomhall , Mrs. George S. Long, Miss Olive G. Williams, Mrs. W. W. Hegler, Mrs. F. E. Scobey, Mrs. Theodore Sullivan, Mrs. Hannah M. Gahagan, Mrs J. W. Stillwell, Mrs. C. C. Hobart, Mrs. M. K. Gantz, Mrs. Harry Gabriel, Mrs. C. W. Cookson, Mrs. Walter Brewer, Mrs . Clarence Snook, Mrs. B. W. Jones, Mrs. R. C. Wolcott, Miss Edith Scott, Mrs. C. A. Geiger, Mrs. Edwin Cosley, and Mrs. Edward Wilson. The Altrurian club meets each Wednesday, with a distinctive program. Its motto is "In essentials-harmony; liberty In all things charity." A comprehensive program is given each week and the discussions cover a wide range of topics, with special attention to home economics and civics. Delightful musicales are a frequent feature of the weekly meetings and child-welfare discussions are one of the special features. The latter subject extends beyond the range of mere disctission-the child welfare work of this organization having accomplished tremendous benefits in this field. The work is largely divided into committees-the civic committee having inaugurated "clean up" week in Troy, and initiated many movements tending to civic betterment. In social, civic and philanthropic work, the Altrurian club easily ranks among the foremost clubs of the county. The Altrurian club was federated October 25, 1894, and incorporated April 26, 1895. The present officers a re: President, Mrs. Harry Shilling; vice-president, Mrs. Sterrett Faulkner, Mrs. E. W. Jewell; recording secretary, Mrs. Lewis Schuh; corresponding secretary, Mrs. Frank McCullough; treasurer, Mrs. Arthur Sheets; auditor, Mrs. Hannah Gahagan.
of Troy was organized in September, 1900, and its membership at its organization were members from the Sorosis Club. The Fortnightly Club was prominent in Belgium relief work, and is now defraying the expenses of educating a French orphan. The present officers of this club are: President, Mrs. Pearl Stephens; vice-president, Mrs. Edward Bowers; secretary Ralph Gibson; treasurer, Mrs. F. W. Steil.
was organized November 24, 1893. The motto adopted at this time was "Keep in step, the world is moving." The Sorosis club, being one of the older clubs of Troy, has always been of distinctive usefulness to its members and to the community at large. The present officers are: President, Mrs. C.,M. Smith; vice- president, Mrs. Ivy Yount; secretary, Mrs. Harry Shilling; treasurer, Mrs. W. H. Baker.
Among the younger element of Troy, the Varsity club holds preeminence as the dominating social institution. It is composed entirely of the younger spirits of the community and its functions have always been of a wholesome and entertaining variety. It was organized in 1912; improvements have been made from time to time-the club now having modern and commodious headquarters. The officers of the club are: President, Warren Chambers; vice-president, D. E. Dalzell; secretary, Paul Shavers ; treasurer, Christian-Pister.
As in other places the Rotary club fills a position in the life of Troy which could not possibly be filled by any other club or organization. The get together spirit of the Rotary club is the spirit that has made the Rotary clubs famous throughout the country. The Troy Rotary club holds a weekly luncheon which is animated by lively discussions on current topics, embracing community and civic needs and many kindred subjects. Once a month, a meeting is held, at which the members are privileged to bring their wives or other guests. These monthly meetings are one of the main events of the life of the Rotary club, and are enlivened with impromptu musicales and informal discussions. Many special features are also introduced at these meetings; speakers of note and important personages have been invited and attended many of the meetings in the past. The Troy Rotary club was organized in 1918, the first executive officers being H. E. Johnston, president and Harold A. Pauley, secretary and Treasurer. The present offlcers are J. W. Safford, president; Harold A. Pauley, secretary; Frank C. Roberts, vice-president. The board of directors at present are Fred C. Holt; Glen C. Strock and Sterret Faulkner. The work of the organization is divided into committees, which are accountable for the entire activities of the club.
was the outgrowth of the old Troy Bicycle club. It at first rented quarters in several places, finally establishing a clubhouse on the south side of Franklin street, between Market and Cherry streets, in the Flatfield-Scott building. Later, the Outing Club of Troy, consolidating with it, gave to it an increase in membership. The Outing club was a very popular club for a number of years. It occupied an island in the Miami river, above Troy, for which it paid a yearly rental to the state. This island was the headquarters for the club and was the scene of all their many outings and formal gatherings. Among the moving spirits of the Outing Club were George Scott, Chas. W. Tobey and Henry Allen. The Troy club eventually rented the Dunlap building on South Franklin street, between Market and Walnut. This later passed into the hands of Geo. Scott and subsequently became the property of William Hayner. On the death of Mr. Hayner, it was found that provision had been made by him whereby the building became the property of the Troy club. The Troy club is distinctively a social club, embracing many of the business men of Troy. Its present officers are: Dr. J. S. Shinn, president; Sterrett Faulkner, vice-president; William Hartley, secretary. The directors are George Torlina, Harold Patiley and Fred Holt.
Troy Railroad Service
In 1871, W. H. H. Dye & Son established the Miami County bank in Troy and eight years later sold it to another company, at the head of which was H. H. Weakley, and later was acquired by the Heywood-Royce company. Although in the beginning its capital was only $50,000, it exactly doubled that amount by 1888, when it became the Troy National bank with the following officers: President, N. H. Albaugh; vice-president, John Al. Campbell; cashier, Noah Yount; assistant cashier, C. E. Wilson.
The capital at present is $125,000, with a surplus and undivided profit of $200,000. The present officers are: President, W. E. Bowyer; vice-president, W. H. Francis; cashier, John K. DeFrees; assistant cashier, P. G. Yantis.
First National Bank Of Troy. Although the old state banks were an improvement over their predecessors, they were still unable to meet the needs of the times and in 1863 the First National Bank of Troy was established, as a successor to the Miami county branch of the state bank which was founded in 1847. Its first officers were President, Asa Coleman; cashier, John C. Culbertson ; teller and bookkeeper, D. W. Smith; directors, Jacob Knoop, Daniel Brown, George Smith, Asa Coleman, Lewis Hayner and H. W. Allen. Mr. Allen was made president in 1865 and D. W. Smith became cashier the same year. The First National was the fifty-ninth national bank established in the United States. A handsome new stone fireproof building with modern equipment, was occupied in 1908. The present capitalization is $200,000. The savings department is a distinct feature of this bank and is especally appealing to a person who can only make a small deposit each week. The present officers of the bank are: President, F. O. Flowers; vice-president, C. O. Briggs; cashier, E. Z. Elleman; assistant cashiers: N. E. Metcalf and A, D. Dill.
The People's Building & Saving Association of Troy, and one of the most substantial institutions of its kind in Miami county, extending a service for many years and having enjoyed a steady and substantial growth, was organized in 1890. The need for an institution of this kind had been apparent for some time and the first officers elected were men of wide experience in business affairs and well adapted to lay the cornerstone of this institution. Its officers were: Dr. L M. Lindenburger, president, James Knight, secretary; Noah Yount, treasurer. Mr. Lindenburger resigned and Mr. A. E. Childs was elected president. continuing in office until his death in 1909. After the death of Mr. Childs, J. W. Stephey, the present incumbent, was selected as president, and has continued in this office up to the present time. Mr. L. O. Shilling was elected in 1893, as secretary, being the present incumbent. The present vice-president is Mr. George W. Conrad; assistant secretary, Mary P. Rosser, and J. C. Fullerton, jr., attorney. The directors of this company are J. W. Stephey, George W. Conrad, John K. DeFrees, Elmer E. Pearson, Joseph V. McCool, F. W. Steil, R. H. Gibson and C. L. Yost. On June 30, 1919, the total assets of this company showed $1,126,993.17. Since that time loans to the amount of $145,000 have been made. The earnings for six months prior to June, 1919, showed $32,527.35. The earnings for the previous year having totaled $63,289.04 which shows a pro rata increase for the six months ending June, 1919, in earnings. Since July 1, 1919, the assets have increased to $1,1,59,000.
From the primitive places of worship, often the rude log cabins of early days, the barns, and when the weather permitted, the open air, to the splendid places of worship of today, is shown the general progress of this community during the last one hundred years. Today Troy is worshiping with almost all denominations known: the number of churches in Troy indicating a pronounced spiritual atmosphere. The Methodists were the first to build a church here, their first place of worship being a log church located near the corner of Main and Clay streets. The second church was built in 1825 on Mulberry street between Franklin and Canal street. This was transformed into a parsonage when the third church was built adjoining it in 1839. Ground was broken for the present beautiful church building in 1899 and was dedicated on May 2, 1901. It is a magnificent stone structure, surmounted by a gilded dome.
About 1857 Catholics in Troy were few in numbers but very zealous in the practice of their religion. They first assembled for divine worship in the home of John Danaher. In the fall of the same year the Hon. J. E. Pearson tendered the use of his courtroom for worship. This generous offer was accepted and the Catholics held services here until the following year. In 1858 the first Catholic church was completed and was dedicated to the honor of St. Patrick. Priests from Piqua and Dayton attended to the wants of this parish until 1877 when Rev. F. H. Menke was made its first resident pastor. In 1883 a substantial addition was made to the church and in 1886 a new parochial school was built. In 1915 a new church was decided on, and on May 28th of the following year, the cornerstone of the present building, a magnificent structure of stone of the pure Gothic design was laid and the building was finished and dedicated November 30, 1916, by Archbishop Henry Moeller.
was organized September 13, 1813, in the home of Alexander Telford; the families who were adherents of this church at this time were the Orbisons, Telfords, McClungs, Youarts, Shacklefords and Scotts. A church was later erected on Crawford street near Franklin. A schism took place in this church about 1840 and for some time there were two divisions of the church existing in Troy, one known as the Old School Church and the other known as the New School Church. These two factions were again united in 1870. The New School had built a new frame church on the present site and in 1859 the present brick structure was erected. In 1917 extensive repairs were made giving the Presbyterians of this community a very beautiful place of worship.
The Baptists early worshiped in the homes of its adherents; among the earliest visiting ministers were those of this denomination. About 1830 a regular place of worship was established; being part of the home of Mr. Joseph R. John, on the site of the present place of worship. In 1843 the church was incorporated and purchased this property. In 1855 the present church was erected and in 1865 improvements and additions were made, giving the Baptists a splendid place of worship.
This denomination for a number of years held services in the old town hall, and in 1862 the cornerstone of the First Christian church was laid. Reverend A. L. McKinney preached the dedicatory sermon. He was known as the "Fighting Chaplain" of the 71st Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The cornerstone of the new place of worship was laid on May 4, 1905. Other churches of Troy were St. Johns Evangelical church, which was founded in 1848 and the new edifice was built in 1882. The Trinity Episcopalian church of Troy is one of the historic places of worship in Troy, and is one of the oldest parishes in the Diocese of Southern Ohio. The Christian Science church maintains reading rooms; there are also a number of churches for the worship of the colored people.
From the first school of Troy, which was established in 1813, to the present splendid school advantages now enjoyed, is a long stride in popular education. As is set forth elsewhere, the first school of Troy was established at what is now the corner of Market and Water streets, and the first teacher of this primitive school was Samuel Kyle, the number of pupils being fifteen. Somewhat later the Academy was built and here Micajah Fairfield taught, he later taking up the publication of the Miami Reporter.
The first school board in Troy was composed of the following men: Charles Morris, Rev. Daniel Rice, George D. Burgess, William B. Johnston, Benjamin Powers, Zachariah Riley, and Henry S. Mayo. This board elected as superintendent, William N. Edwards, one of the most efficient and well beloved men that has ever lived in Troy. The Edwards school has been named for him and his memory is revered by a few of the older residents of Troy who remembered him. The school system of Troy began to grow from this time on and as the population increased the number of buildings and teachers grew also. The first class to graduate from the Troy high school was composed of Walter S. Thomas, John W. Morris, Diana Meeks, and Augusta Brandriff. Succeeding superintendents were H.. A. Thompson, H. P. Ufford, John W. Dowd, L. V. Ferris, J. F. McCasky, C. L. Van Cleave and Ralph Brown. Mr. Dowd was one of the most popular superintendents, serving from 1880 to 1906. In a paper which he wrote, in which he collected a number of interesting facts concerning the history of Troy schools, he gives, among other things the list of early teachers: Samuel Kyle, 1813; Micajah Fairfield, 1826; John Petit, 1831; Benjamin Powers, 1832; Mr. Walkup, 1833-34-35; Uriah Fordyce, 1837; Hiram Brooks, 1837; Miss Barney, 1838; George D. Burgess, 1839-41; Robert McCurdy, 1842; E. P. Coles, 1843; Minor Fairfield, 1845; Rev. Edmund Fairfield, 1845- 46.
The public school systems of Troy and Piqua are at the present time as thoroughly modern and efficient as up-to-date equipment, and well-trained, conscientious teachers and supervisors can make them. In Troy the curriculum is divided into three groups; the first six years comprise the elementary department, the seventh and eighth grades are called junior high school and the work is departmental, preparatory to the work in the high school proper. The high school course is four years and manual training, domestic science and a commercial course extend the work beyond the purely academic. The present high school course is much more comprehensive than that of the most progressive college of a hundred years ago.
Manual training was included in the course in the Troy high school in 1906, domestic science in 1912, and the commercial course in 1905. The enrollment for 1919 was 1,540, 315 of whom were in the high school and 210 in the junior high school. Every child in the Troy schools was a member of the American Red Cross and worked loyally to raise money and make clothing for the soldiers and refugees of Belgium and France during the great war. School and home gardens were successfully maintained adding a practical, useful project to the course.
The personnel of the present Board of Education is: President, Walter Duer; clerk, J. C. Fullerton, jr.; R. W. Crowfoot, Dr. Geo. McCullough, Dr. J. W. Means, and P. G. Yentis.
A splendid athletic field that has been in use for the last few years has been taken by the Miami conservancy.
Mr. Charles W. Cookson, who for twelve years was superintendent of schools, recently resigned to accept the superintendency of the Franklin county school with headquarters at Columbus. Mr. Cookson is a graduate of Wooster university and of Ohio university at Athens.
Mr. T. E. Hook, the present superintendent, is a graduate of the University of Michigan, with the degrees A.B. and A.M.; taking the former degree, in the class of 1914, and the latter in 1918. After graduation, he subsequently went to South Haven, Mich., as principal of the high school at that place, and later became superintendent of schools, which position he resigned to become superintendent of the Troy high schools.
St. Patrick's Parochial School has a splendid curriculum, taught by sisters of the Most Precious Blood. This school has an attendance of about 100 pupils.
End Part 4
Copyright © 2000 by Computerized Heritage