MOSES B. WISE
MOSES B. WISE, a general farmer and representative citizen of Newberry Township, residing on his well improved farm of fifty- five acres, which is situated two miles southwest of Bloomer, was born on the old Moses Wise farm north of Bradford, Ohio, September 24, 1858. His parents were Moses and Elizabeth Wise.
The elder Moses Wise was born near Lebanon, Ohio, and died on his old home farm near Bradford, in November, 1897. He was twice married, his first wife, Elizabeth Burkett, being a native of Darke County, Ohio. She died April 8, 1860, when Moses B., the youngest of her thirteen children, was a babe of eighteen months. Moses Wise was married subsequently, to Mrs. Elizabeth (Sword) Ullery, and four children were born to that union.
Moses B. Wise was reared by his mother and remained on the home farm until his own marriage. This took place December 16, 1883, to Miss Anna Miller, who was, born in Newberry Township, Miami County, on the farm lying south of the present Wise home. She is a, daughter of Joseph and Anna B. (Bashore) Miller and when she was six months old, her parents moved into Darke County where she was reared. The late Joseph Miller, who died March, 22, 1909, at the age of eighty-four years, was born on the same farm as his daughter, November 25, 1824, and at the time of his death, was the oldest native-born resident of the township.
He was the last one of a family of ten children. His long life had covered a very important period of history in this section and he could recall the time when the whole extent of fertile, improved farming land which makes this section one of the garden spots of the State, was covered by a dense forest growth. He could remember when his parents and the neighbors had to the long trip to Cincinnati in order to obtain the provisions necessary for subsistence. On December 4, 1851, he married Anna Bashore, a daughter of Jacob and Sarah Bashore, and they had six daughters and one son born to them. He is survived by his widow, four daughters and one son and twenty-eight grandchildren, and ten great-grandchildren, and a large circle, of friends who long had lived under the kindly influence of his beneficent life. He was spared pain and suffering and seemed simply to pass away in the fullness of years. In the spring of 1854, he and wife were baptized in the Church of the Brethren and the Christian profession he then made he faithfully lived up to. He will be sadly missed from his accustomed place in the church.
After marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Wise went to housekeeping on a farm of eighty acres, situated just across the road from Wise homestead, in Darke County, living there for four and one-half years and then moved to a farm in Newberry Township residing there for five and one-half years, on March 8, 1894, settling on the present place. Mr. Wise here carries on a general farming line and devotes four acres to tobacco and a part of his acreage to pasturage for his stock. In addition to cultivating his own land, he operates 131 1/2 acres, which he rents from John Mummert. On June 2, 1897, Mr. Wise met with the misfortune of having his house burn down, but he immediately replaced it by the present large frame residence which has the appearance of comfort and stability. He also has improved his place by the erection of a substantial barn with dimensions of 36x76 feet and a tobacco shed, 24x5O feet in dimension. Mr. Wise is a man with very practical ideas and carries on his work systematically and successfully.
Mr. and Mrs. Wise have seven children. namely: Cora, Jesse, Joseph, Charles, Homer, Ella and Israel. Mr. Wise is a member of the Church of the Brethren. He takes no active part in politics, but he and family have always belonged to that class of citizens who uphold the law and through their quiet, exemplary lives, exert a strong influence for good in their community.
Return to the Biography Index
Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage