DAVID C. MANNING
David C. Manning is numbered among Miami county's native sons. He was born in the northeast corner of Brown township, February 3, 1835, his parents being Major Clarkson and Phoebe (Corey) Manning, who resided at Plainfield, New Jersey, thirty-five miles west of New York. The paternal grandfather was Isaac Manning, who was of German descent and served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, taking part with Washington's army in the battle of Trenton. Clarkson Manning was a soldier in the war of 1812, his services being in connection with the guarding of the bay of New York and Sandy Hook. He was at that fort when the British vessels approached, and aided in firing one of three guns. A shot struck one of the vessels and the fleet then retreated. From that time forward Mr. Manning was known by the title of major. He was married in New Jersey, and in 1818 took up his abode in Butler county, Ohio, entering land from the government in Miami county, and making his permanent home thereon. The old sheepskin patent, dated July 13, 1819, and signed by President James Monroe, is now in possession of his son David. His services in the war of 1812 were recognized by the government in 1852 when President Fillmore signed a patent granting him land in Illinois. He, however, never left his Ohio home, which was his abode from 1819 until his death, which occurred April 12, 1887, when he was in his ninety-fourth year. He retained his mental faculties unimpaired. His death resulted from an accident, he having slipped on the ice several weeks before. His wife passed away about eighteen weeks previous, her death having occurred in her ninety-seventh year. Both were particularly well preserved old people, who to the last maintained an active interest in the affairs of the day. Mr. Manning was a Jacksonian Democrat, and was always ready to uphold his position by intelligent argument. His wife was a member of the Leatherwood Baptist church, which owned the first brick house of worship in the township. Mr. Manning was not a member of church but was a great believer in church and always accompanied his wife to the house of worship. Mrs. Manning was particularly active in church work, was a very true and loyal woman, and both were people of the highest respectability. His first house was a log cabin of primitive construction, but later it was replaced by a fine log house, well built, twenty-two by twenty-eight feet, and two stories high. It was the first dwelling in the township that had a shingle roof, and for many years it was occupied, but was ultimately torn down by David C. Manning. His third home, built about sixty years ago, is still standing. It is a two-story brick residence, and at an early day the place was noted for its generous hospitality, entertainment being there furnished to all travelers who passed this way. Mr. and Mrs. Manning were the parents of seven children: Parkus, who died at the age of nine years; Elsie Anna, who became the wife of David Counts, and died at her home in Fletcher about ten years of age; Isaac, who died at the age of forty years on his farm east of Lena, in Champaign county, where his son Walter is now living; Johanna, wife of John Hair, who removed to Illinois in pioneer days, Mrs. Hair dying in Fulton county, that state; Mary Jane, widow of William Wooley and a resident of Palestine, Ohio; and John, who died at the age of eighteen years.
David Corey Manning, the subject of this sketch, was reared on the farm and for some years operated the old homestead. Later, however, his father rented the property. On the 5th of February, 1857, our subject was married to Miss Caroline Throckmorton, of Brown township, a daughter of George and Sarah (Lafferty) Throckmorton, who were New Jersey people. The father came to Ohio with his parents, and in Warren county was married. He was a carpenter by trade and for some time resided in Piqua, but afterward settled on the farm in Brown township now owned by S. S. Yates. There he developed a good farm, making it his home until his removal to Clinton county. After three years, however, he returned and purchased a farm adjoining his old place. He died on that property, but in the meantime had resided for a brief interval at Conover. Mrs. Manning was born on the old homestead, October 25, 1838, and by her marriage became the mother of two sons, George D. and Charles E., the latter living on the old Manning homestead. Both are married and are numbered among the enterprising farmers of Brown township. Since the age of eighteen George has engaged in teaching, and is one of the well known educators of the county.
In 1865 David C. Manning, of this review, took charge of a steam saw-mill north of Conover and operated the same until it was destroyed by fire three years later. In 1868 he purchased his present farm of Daniel H. Knoop, and after ten years had cleared the place of all indebtedness. This farm comprises seventy-seven and a half acres, upon which he has made excellent improvements, including the erection of substantial farm buildings. Everything about the place is in first class condition and indicates the supervision of a practical and progressive owner. In addition to managing his own affairs, he acted as administrator of his father's estate, the land being divided according to his father's wishes. He received forty acres of the old homestead, since which time he has purchased his sister's interest and now has eighty acres. He was also administrator of his father-in-law's estate, successfully controlling that business and settling up affairs satisfactorily to all. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Democracy, but has never held office, save that of trustee, to which he was elected for an unexpired term of six months, then re-elected to the same office for one year and afterwards for three years more. He never asked any man for his vote, and the support given him was an acknowledgment of his popularity and the confidence reposed in him by his fellow townsmen. Early in the existence of the Grange movement he became identified therewith and took an active part in its work, holding many offices therein. His life has been an active, honorable and useful one, and every trust reposed in him has been faithfully performed.
Return to the Biography Index
Copyright © 2000 by Computerized Heritage