JAMES S. SAYLOR
James S. Saylor, retired farmer P. O. Tippecanoe City; an early settler of the county, was born in Bethel Township Jan. 15, 1827; his parents were Jacob and Rachel (McPherson) Saylor, the former born in Virginia, near Harper's Ferry, and the latter in this State. Jacob died, in January, 1859, at the age of 80; his father, Jacob, was of German birth, and was brought to this country when only 4 years old; he moved to Ohio with his family in 1800, or previous, and halted for a short time in Montgomery Co., and then moved on up the Miami to Bethel Township, where his death, occurred at the advanced age of 94 years; two of his children, Jacob and Philip, in the fall of 1800, in their early manhood, pioneered their way up the Miami and entered one-half section of land in Bethel Township, and moved on it the following spring with their father; here Jacob began with an unyielding determination to hew out a home in the wilderness, bearing with fortitude the privations and hardships of pioneer life; he had six sons and six daughters, only four of whom still survive. Our subject was the eleventh child, and his life has: been that of a farmer; the experiences of his boyhood and youth were those of most any farmer boy at that time; his education was obtained in the characteristic pioneer log schoolhouse; and consequently was much limited; he lived on his. birthplace till 8 years ago, when he moved to Tippecanoe City; he now owns and operates one-half the homestead; he finds his political views in the Republican party, and, although no political aspirant, he was elected in October, 1871, to the office of County Commissioner, the duties of which he faithfully and satisfactorily discharged. He was married, March 31, 1853, to Jealy Dye, of this county, a descendant of early settlers, her grandfather, Stephen Dye, being among the first settlers of the county; one daughter, Lillie, has been born to this union who became the wife of Dr. Sterrett, of Troy and died Feb. 9, 1875.
Return to the Biography Index
Copyright © 2000 by Computerized Heritage