LOUIS SHERMAN, a well known resident of Concord Township, Miami County, Ohio is the owner of a farm of fifty acres located about three-fourths of a mile northwest of Troy, on the Piqua Pike. He was born in McClain Township, Shelby County, Ohio, May 25, 1851, and is a son of Henry and Catherine (Ernst) Sherman.
Joseph Sherman, grandfather of the subject of this record, was a native of Germany, in which country he lived many years after his marriage. He came with his family to the United States in 1835, and made the trip from Baltimore, Maryland, to Shelby County, Ohio, in wagons. He settled in the woods near Loramie, that being before the town of Berlin was started. With the assistance of his sons he cleared the farm and continued farming there until his death. He had three sons to grow to maturity, all now deceased, namely: Joseph, Henry and William.
Henry Sherman was born and reared in Germany, and was a lad of seventeen years when he came with his parents to the United States. The most of the work of clearing the home farm in Shelby County fell upon his shoulders, and it continued to be his home until his death, in 1904, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. He engaged in teaching school for twenty-five years and saw that his sons ere all provided with good educational training. In the early day she helped to build the canal through this section of the State. He married Catherine Ernst, who was born in Germany and who died in January, 1908, at the age of eighty years. They became parents of three children: John J., who is one of the commissioners of Shelby County; Louis; and Adolph, who is serving as justice of the peace in Shelby County, an office his father filled before him for a period of eighteen years.
Louis Sherman was born in the old one room log house which stood on the old homestead in Shelby County, and there grew to manhood. He attended the old log schoolhouse in that district and lived at home until his marriage. He then located upon a farm of eighty acres in Shelby County, which he received from his father, and lived upon it until 1895, when he moved to Troy. In his younger days he operated a threshing outfit, and after moving to Troy he held a position as stationary engineer with the Hobart Electric Manufacturing Company for six years. He then conducted a coal yard on Walnut Street, on the Big Four Railroad, for three years, at the end of which time he sold out to Burt Nicol. In a short time he bought his present farm of fifty acres fro m Dr. Sterrett and has since followed general farming. He has a fine and large brick home of nine rooms in keeping with which are the other improvements on the place.
Mr. Sherman started a post office at St. Patrick, in Shelby County, under appointment of President Cleveland, but after nine months resigned the office owing to his removal to Troy. He is a staunch Democrat in politics, and an enthusiastic worker for party success. In Shelby County he filled various township offices in a very efficient manner.
In April, 1877, Mr. Sherman was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Gudenkuff, of Auglaize County, Ohio; she died five years later, without issue. He formed a second marital union in April, 1883, with Miss Lucy Kirch, a daughter of John Kirch, who was a pioneer of Miami County and later of Shelby County. The following offspring were born to them: Emma, who married William Depweg, of Dayton, and has a son, Irving; Adolph; Albert; Christopher; Matilda; and Lena, who died at the age of sixteen years. Religiously the family is Catholic and belongs to St. Patrick's Church at Troy.
Return to the Biography Index
Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage