Levi Houser, now deceased, was born in Spring Creek township May 20, 1823, and upon the old homestead farm remained until twenty years of age. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, and on leaving the parental roof he went to Dayton, where he worked on a farm with his uncle for two years. On the expiration of that period, with the capital which he had acquired through his industry and economy, he purchased eighty acres of land in Spring Creek township, and from that time forward made his home upon the property. In addition to the cultivation of the fields he purchased cattle and sheep, and was numbered among the extensive and successful stock dealers until his death. His business affairs were energetically prosecuted and always characterized by the utmost reliability.
On the 29th of March, 1849, Mr. Houser was united in marriage to Miss Christina Whitney, who was born in Warren county, Ohio, September 29, 1829, and came to Shelby county with her parents, Francis and Abigail (Blanchard) Whitney. Mr. and Mrs. Houser were married in Shelby county and their union was blessed with five children. Ephraim, the eldest, now living in Piqua, married Sophia Blalock and they had two children, Lee and Flossie.
The mother died, and by his second wife, Jennie, who was a sister of his first wife, he had four children, --Clyde, Nellie, Harry and Bessie. Martin, the second son of the family, now operates the home farm. He married Annie Shoemaker, and they have two children, Wilson and Gracie. Maggie is the wife of John Brennar, who is living in Staunton township, and they have two children living, Oscar and Earl, while Harry died in infancy. Samuel married Jennie Hammond and they have two children, Forest and Edith. Abigail is the wife of Harvey Anderson, a farmer of Spring Creek township, and their children are Bertha and Annie L.
When Mr. and Mrs. Houser took up their abode upon the farm where the widow now resides it was a tract of heavy timber land, but Mr. Houser cleared away the trees, plowed the land, and in due course of time garnered abundant harvests. Their first home was a log cabin, but in later years it was replaced by a more commodious and modern residence. As the years passed by all the accessories and conveniences of the model farm were added, and the property became a very valuable one, Mr. Houser continuing the cultivation of the fields until his death. He was for thirty-eight years a consistent member of the Baptist church, and in his life exemplified his religious faith. His political support was given the Republican party, and he served as township trustee, supervisor and school director for many years, discharging his duties with marked promptness and fidelity. He died May 6, 1884, and his remains were interred in the Fletcher cemetery. In his death the community lost a valued citizen, his neighbors a faithful friend and his family a loving husband and father. Mrs. Houser is now the owner of an eighty-acre farm in Spring Creek township and also has fifty-six acres in Staunton township, so that she is well supplied with life's comforts. She, too, is a consistent and faithful member of the Baptist church, and the many excellencies of her character have gained her warm regard.
Return to the Biography Index
Copyright © 2000 by Computerized Heritage