JACOB KENDELL, M. D.
JACOB KENDELL, M. D., for many years a prominent medical practitioner of Covington, Miami County, Ohio, is now cashier of the Stillwater Valley Bank Company at that place and devotes his entire time to the duties of that position. He has been identified with the institution ever since its inception, first as president and then as cashier, and is entitled to much credit for its great success.
Dr. Kendell was born on a farm in Newton Township, Miami County, November, 16, 1846, and is a son of Benjamin and Mary (Boggs) Kendell. Benjamin Kendell was a native of Pennsylvania Based came to Miami County, Ohio, when a young man. He was a miller by trade and became the owner of what was known as the Sugar Grove Mill.
The subject of this sketch was five year old at his mother's death, and three years later, owing to the death of his father, he became an orphan. From that time until he was twelve years old he resided in Piqua and since then be has been almost constantly a resident of Covington. He began his education in the public schools and before beginning his preparations for a medical career taught school for two years. He studied medicine under Dr. Weaver of Covington and later attended Miami Medical College at Cincinnati, graduating from that institution with the degree of M.D., in 1869. In that year he entered into a partnership with Dr. Weaver, which was continued for sixteen years. He then opened an office by himself and won high rank in his profession. He was one of the organizers of the Stillwater Valley Bank Company, and served as first president from January 27, 1908, until November 1, 1908, when he was elected cashier to succeed Mr. A. C. Cable, deceased. He is a man of exceptional business qualifications and well fitted for the responsible position he fills.
Dr. Kendell was united in marriage with Sarah Jane Brump, a daughter of Joseph Brump of Tippecanoe City, and they have two sons: Dr. H. W. Kendell of Covington, and Dr. B. J. Kendell of Tippecanoe City. The subject of this sketch is a trustee of the Christian church, of which he has been a member many years and treasurer for thirty years. Fraternally he is a charter member of Covington Lodge, K. of P., of which he was also first chancellor commander. He was for fifteen years a member of the School Board of the city, and for ten years a member of the City Council, but does not now bold any political office.
Dr. H. W. Kendell, son of Dr. Jacob Kendell, was born in Covington, Miami County, Ohio, January 4, 1876. He was reared in his native town and was graduated from the Covington High School in 1894. He then entered the Medical University of Columbus, Ohio, now known as the Starling, Ohio Medical University, and after the usual course of instruction was there graduated in the class of 1898. He was resident physician at the Protestant Hospital of Columbus for a year and in 1899 located in Covington and entered into practice with his father. He married Lora Worley, a daughter of George Worley, and has two children: Elizabeth and Herbert Wiley. At the time of his marriage he and his wife took a trip to Europe, the doctor spending several months in the leading hospitals of London and other large cities. He is a member of the Ohio State, the Miami County, and the American Medical societies. He is a stockholder in the Stillwater Valley Bank Company, first vice president of the Covington B.& L. Association, and a director in the Covington Home Telephone Company. The Doctor is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Return to the Biography Index
Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage