Miami County, Ohio Genealogical Researchers -- Sponsored by the Computerized Heritage Association


Place Names in Miami County, Ohio
compiled by Joe Bosserman


ABE was in Newberry Township, Miami County. It was not much more than a grain-elevator and a couple of houses. It was on the east side of the Range Line Road where the C.H.& D. Railroad crossed. This would have been slightly south of the Union Church Road. ABE was also known as RANGEVILLE.

It was in the northwest quarter of Section 7, Town 8, Range 5. The name of ABE went with the removal of the C.H.& D. tracks which was in the late 1920s or early 1930s.

As I have not been able to find this name or place on any map, I would like to thank my old friend the late Leslie Zimmerman for telling me about it several years ago.

ALCONY OHIO. In Elizabeth Township, Miami County. It was laid out in 1858 and was first known as Miami City. The first post office in the place was known as ALCONY P.O. It was first a stopping point on the Troy-Springfield Pike stagecoach route. Its location is at the place where sections 3, 4, 9, and 10 join.

For further information see pages 408-409 in Beer's 1880 History Of Miami County Ohio.

ALLEN COUNTY OHIO formed 1820 from Miami County Ohio. The land office was in Piqua, Ohio. The county seat of Allen County is Lima, Ohio.


BARRENS. The Barrens was an old time name for the area in Miami and Darke Counties Ohio that generally followed the Greenville Creek westward from the Stillwater River towards Fort Green Ville.

BETHEL TOWNSHIP, in Miami County Ohio. Founded in 1807. Taken from a part of Elizabeth Township. It is in the extreme southeast corner of Miami County. Its southern edge borders Montgomery County and its eastern edge is against Clark County.

in Newberry Township, Miami County Ohio. It is at the intersection of

BLOOMER, also known as Bloomertown, is in Newberry Township, Miami County Ohio. It is on the line between sections 34 & 35, Town 19, Range 4. It is at the point where the C.D.& C. railway passed through that section line. A cut-a- way of the town is shown on page 45 of the 1894 Atlas map of Newberry Twp as republished by the Miami Co Historical Society.

Note: C.D.& C. = Cincinnati-Dayton & Chicago Railroad Co.

Note: There was also another Bloomer/Bloomertown in the area. The second one was about five miles west of the one in Miami County. It was in Darke County, now known as Stelvideo.

BLOOMERTOWN, see BLOOMER

BRADFORD OHIO, founded 1868 as a railroad company town. It is half in Newberry Township, Miami County and half in Adams Township, Darke County. At first it was known as Bradford Junction.

BRANDT OHIO, was laid out in August 1839 in the eastern part of Bethel Township, Miami County. It is in the southeast quarter of section 14. Its main street was the National Road, which was the main route of settlers coming by wagon from the east after that road was opened. The National Road is now US Route 40.

BROWN TOWNSHIP, Miami County Ohio is in the extreme northeastern corner of the county. It is bordered on the north by Shelby County and on the east by Champaign County. The first settler came in 1806; however the township was not named and founded until 1819. The main towns are Fletcher, Lena and Conover. See pages 309-322 in 1880 History Of Miami County.

BROWNS STATION is located in Bethel Township, Miami Co and is in the southeast quarter of Section 11, Town 2, Range 9. It was still shown on a 1977 map.

BRUSH CREEK is a stream with its mouth flowing into Ludlow Creek about one mile west of Ludlow Falls in the northeast quarter of Section 7, Town 6, Range 5. (This is in Union Township, Miami County Ohio) Brush Creek then flows almost due south into Montgomery Co.

BUCHANNAN'S BLOCK HOUSE. Another name for Fort Buchannan which in 1812 was on the Stillwater River at the mouth of the Greenville Creek.


CASSTOWN, in Lostcreek Township, Miami County Ohio. Founded in 1832

CIRCLE HILL is in Newton Township, Miami County Ohio. It is actually a crossroads location with a couple of homes. It is at the eastern-crook of State Route 721, less than a mile from the Darke/Miami County Line, and in Section 10, of Town 8, Range 4. It is approximately 4 miles northwest of Pleasant Hill and 5 miles southwest of Covington.

CLAYTON, in Newberry Township, Miami County is also known as North Clayton. It is around six miles north-northwest of Covington. It is on the Stillwater River and in the northeast quarter of Section 13, Town 9, Range 4 East.

CONCORD TOWNSHIP in Miami County Ohio - Founded in 1807

CONOVER, in Brown Township, Miami County Ohio Founded in 1863

COVINGTON, in Newberry Township, Miami County Ohio. From 1793 to 1812 it was known as Fort Rowdy, from 1812 to 1816 as Fort Buchannan and Friendship, from 1816 to 1835 it was known as Stillwater, and in 1835 it was incorporated as Covington. It is located on the Stillwater River just across from the mouth of the Greenville Creek.


DARKE COUNTY OHIO was erected from a part of Miami County Ohio in 1809. However no government was organized nor records kept in Darke County until 1817.

DUTCH STATION was in what is now Staunton Township, Miami County Ohio. In 1797 several men built a stockade for the protection from Indians. These men were Henry Gerrard, Benjamin Hamblett, John Tilders, John Knoop, and Benjamin Knoop. They gave the name of Dutch Station to the stockade.


ELDEAN is located in Concord Township, Miami County. It is in Section 9, Town 7, Range 6. It is on State Route 25A about two miles north of the Troy corporation limit. It is not a town as such but the location of a couple of homes and a grain elevator.

ELIZABETHTOWN in Brown Township of Miami County, later renamed as LENA. See LENA, Miami County Ohio. Also see page 317 of the 1880 History of Miami County Ohio.

ELIZABETH TOWNSHIP in Miami County. Formed in July 1807 as one of the first five townships in Miami County. Before that date this land was located in what was then Montgomery County, and before that, in Hamilton County.


FARRINGTON is located in Washington Township, Miami County Ohio.  It is in Section 32, Town 6, Range 6, and near the west bank of the Miami River.  It is not a town as such, but a grain elevator location. It is on State Route 25A.

FIDELITY, also known as Frederick and Fredericktown. It lies in two counties and three townships. It is in both Miami and Montgomery Counties, as well as in Butler, Monroe, and Union Townships. The real name is Frederick's Town, named for its founder Frederick Yount. The first post office there was Fidelity P.O.

See page 433 of Beer's 1880 History of Miami County.

FIVE POINTS, is shown on newer maps at the line between Miami and Montgomery Counties. It is at the intersection of State Route 49, State Route 721, and the Montgomery County Line Road. It is around 3 miles south of Potsdam and 1/2 mile east of the where Darke, Miami, and Montgomery Counties join.

FLETCHER, in Brown Township, Miami County Ohio. Formed in 1830.

FORT BUCHANNAN, a blockhouse built in 1812 near the site of old Fort Rowdy (present day Covington). The fort was atop a cliff on east bank of the Stillwater River, across from and overlooking the mouth of the Greenville Creek. Named for Col. George Buchannan who was in charge of the fort.

FORT PICKAWILLANY, a 1752 Indian village and trading post. Located north of present day Piqua Ohio, which is in Miami County Ohio.

FORT ROWDY, a 1793 fort of Gen. Anthony Wayne located on the east bank of the Stillwater River, across from the mouth of the Greenville Creek. The place was later known (1812) as Fort Buchannan, then in 1816 as Stillwater, and after 1835 Covington. It is in Newberry Township, Miami County Ohio.

In 1793 General "Mad" Anthony Wayne and troops pushed north from Cincinnati on the Ohio River into the wilderness of the Indian Country. He coordinated his advance by establishing forts and blockhouses, one of which was a log blockhouse erected at the junction of the west branch of the Great Miami River, (now known as the Stillwater River) and what is now the Greenville Creek. This is the present location of Covington. This fort was called Fort Rowdy. It proved to be a very strategic point along what was then a very important waterway. Fort Rowdy ended with the Treaty of Greenville on 3 August 1795.

FREDERICK, also known as Fidelity and Fredericktown. It is in two counties and three townships. It lays in Miami and Montgomery Counties and in Butler, Monroe, and Union Townships. It is said to have been named after an early settler, Frederick Yount.

FREDERICKTOWN, also known as Frederick and Fidelity. It is in two counties and three townships, namely Miami and Montgomery Counties and Butler, Monroe, and Union Townships. It is said to have been named for an early settler, Frederick Yount.

FRIENDSHIP, an early name (circa 1816) for present day Covington in Newberry Township, Miami County, Ohio.

 FRIENDTOWN, now known as West Charleston in Bethel Township, Miami County. Laid out in 1807


GEORGETOWN, in Union Township, Miami County. Also known as New Lebanon and POTSDAM. It was laid out circa 1840. Today it is better known as POTSDAM.

GINGHAMSBURG, in Monroe Township, Miami County. Founded circa 1850. It is mentioned on page 433 of Beer's 1880 History Of Miami County Ohio. It is on the line between sections 33 and 34.

 GRAYSON is in Elizabeth Township, Miami County Ohio. It is in the center of Section 32, Town 2, Range 10. It is (was?) at intersection of the Children-Home Road and the (now abandoned) Baltimore-Ohio Railroad tracks.


HUNTERSVILLE was a part of Piqua that lay on the east side of The Great Miami River. The area is now known as Shawnee.

HYATTSVILLE, was in the westward part of what is now Tippecanoe. Located in Monroe Township, Miami Co. Tippecanoe is now known as Tipp City Ohio.


INDIAN CREEK flows into Honey Creek in Section 24 of northern Bethel Township, Miami County Ohio. It's head- waters seem to be in eastern Lostcreek Township, then it flows south through Alcony in Elizabeth Township, and on down into Bethel Township.


KESSLER, is in Union Township of Miami County Ohio. It is in the northwest quarter of Section 14, Town 6, Range 5.


LAURA, in Union Township of Miami County. Founded circa 1840

LENA, in Brown Township of Miami County. Founded in 1830, was first called Elizabethtown. See page 317 of the 1880 History of Miami County.

LIVINGSTON was laid out in 1797 at the mouth of Honey Creek in Miami County and given the name of Livingston. A few cabins and a boat dock were built there but the settlement only lasted for twenty or thirty years. Frequent floods occurred which was likely the reason the settlement was deserted. See page 5 in the book Troy, The Nineteenth Century (1975)

LOCKINGTON, in Washington Township, Miami County Ohio

LOCKPORT, likely an early name for Lockington

LOSTCREEK TOWNSHIP, in Miami County Ohio. Founded in 1818

LUDLOW CREEK flows into the Stillwater River through its mouth located in the approximate center of Section 4, Town 6, Range 5 (northern Union Township, Miami County Ohio). Less than a mile up stream from its mouth there is a rather large falls and at that place a village, known as Ludlow Falls. This is at State Route 48. Another mile upstream the creek divides, the northern branch continuing as LUDLOW CREEK and the southern branch called BRUSH CREEK.

LUDLOW FALLS, in Union Township, Miami County. Founded in 1882, incorporated in 1910.

MIAMI CITY, in Elizabeth Township, Miami County. Founded in 1858. Later known as ALCONY.

MIAMI COUNTY OHIO, erected from a part of Montgomery County on 16 January 1807. Troy is the county seat. It was first divided into five townships, namely Bethel, Concord, Elizabeth, Union and Washington. The sixth township was formed in 1810 and called Newton. In 1814 three more townships were created, namely Springcreek, Turtlecreek, and Essex. The last two named later became parts of Shelby County. In 1815 the township of Greenville was formed but later became part of Darke County. Loramie Township was erected in 1818 and later added to Shelby County. In 1819 Miami County's boundaries were reduced to its present size and the rest of the townships were created: Lostcreek, Brown, Staunton, and Newberry.

THE MIAMI-ERIE CANAL for the most part was around forty feet wide and four feet deep. It was mostly dug by hand (pick and shovel) and ran the north and south the length of the State Of Ohio, from Toledo on Lake Erie to the Ohio River at Cincinnati.

Some of the towns in its path were Cincinnati, Hamilton, Middletown, Franklin, Miamisburg, West Carrollton, Dayton, Tippecanoe, Troy, Piqua, Lockington, Sidney, Loramie-Summit, Saint Marys, Delphos, Defiance, Napoleon, and Toledo.

The canal was opened from the Ohio River to Dayton in 1829, then on to Piqua in 1837. It was completed up to Lake Erie in June 1845.

MILTON, an early name for WEST MILTON, which is in Union Township, Miami County. Laid out in 1806. See West Milton for more information.

MONROE TOWNSHIP, in Miami County. Formed in 1816

MULBERRY GROVE is in Newberry Township of Mimai County, and around one mile east of Covington. It is around the junction of where State Route 41 and the Farrington Pike join. There are a couple of homes plus two Church Buildings in the area. Both the German Baptist and the Old Order German Baptist (aka Dunker).

NASHVILLE is in Union Township, Miami County Ohio. It is on State Route 571 around two and 1/2 miles east of West Milton and five miles west of Interstate 75. It is on the line between Sections 14 & 23 in Town 6, Range 5.

NEW LEBANON, in Union Township, Miami County. Laid out circa 1840. Also known as Georgetown and POTSDAM. Today it is better known as POTSDAM.

NEWBERRY, in Newberry Township of Miami County. An early name for what is now Covington. See Covington. "Newberry Settlement" 1815.


NEWBERRY TOWNSHIP, in Miami County Ohio was organized in 1819 from Newton Township. It is situated in the northwest corner of the county, with Shelby County on its north and Darke County on its west. Washington Township borders its east and Newton Township its south. The main streams are the Stillwater and the Greenville Creek. Covington is the main town, with one-half of Bradford also being in this township, as well as other places such as Bloomer and Clayton. See pages 459-470 in 1880 History Of Miami County.

NEWTON, now known as Pleasant Hill in Newton Township, Miami County Ohio

NEWTON TOWNSHIP, of Miami County Ohio. Formed in 1810.

NEW JEFFERSON, will be added later

NORTH CLAYTON, also known as CLAYTON. It is in Newberry Township, Miami County. It is at the point where the Rangeline Road crosses the Stillwater River. For further information see CLAYTON, Miami County.

Note: the Rangeline Road in western Miami County follows north and south the line between ranges 4 and 5.


PAINTER CREEK (the creek) is a name sometimes used when referring to PANTHER CREEK. Panther Creek is the main stream, and Little Panther Creek is the name of its northern branch. The stream flows into the Stillwater River in Newton Township, Miami Co. Also see PANTHER CREEK

PANTHER CREEK is sometimes called PAINTER CREEK. The large cat known as a Panther was, at one time, also known as a Painter.

PATTY also known as PATTYTOWN. Located in Newton Township, Miami County Ohio. For more information see PATTYTOWN.

PATTYTOWN, Newton Township, Miami County Ohio. It is located between Laura and Pleasant Hill. It is not now much more than a crossroad location at State Route 721 and Fenner Road. It is around 1/2 mile east of the Darke/Miami County Line. It is on section line between sections 27 & 34 in Town 8, Range 4.

PETER'S CREEK flows into the Great Miami River south of Troy. It is a very small creek and is entirely within Concord Township, Miami County.

PHONETON is in Bethel Township, Miami County Ohio. It is at the intersection of State Route 202 and US Route 40 (Old National Road). It is in the northern part of Section 25, Town 2, Range 9.

Pigeye is in Union Township of Miami County. State route 48 at Montgomery County line.

PIQUA, is located on a large curve in the Great Miami River in Washington Township, Miami County. It was first known as Washington. Also see the entry on the town of Washington, Miami Co, in this databank.

Pages starting with 433 in 1880 History Of Miami County Ohio contain a history of the Piqua.

PLEASANT HILL, in Newton Township, Miami County. Incorporated in 1866. Before that it was known as Newton or Newton Settlement.

POLO, in Newberry Township, Miami County, is the name given to the area around the intersection of the Piqua-Versailles Pike and State Route 48. The place is about five miles north of Covington and just west of what was once known as Tidewater. At one time there was a saw mill, a wood and iron working shop, a grocery exchange, a school, and a church in the area.

POTSDAM, in Union Township of Miami County. It was laid out circa 1840 and was first known as Georgetown and New Lebanon.

It is located at the intersection State Route 721 and the Milton-Potsdam Road. It is in Sections 15 & 22 of Town 7, Range 4. It is 1/2 mile east of the Darke-Miami County Line and just a little over 1 mile west of West Milton.


RANGEVILLE, also known as ABE, was located in Newberry Township in Miami County. It consisted of a grain elevator and a few homes on the C.H.& D. Railroad at the point where it crossed the Range Line Road in Newberry Township. The name went when the railroad took up their tracks in the late 1920s or early 1930s.

See ABE in Miami County for a better location of this place of yesteryear.

ROWDY, same as Fort Rowdy, Friendship, Stillwater, and Covington in Newberry Township of Miami County Ohio. See COVINGTON.


SHAKEN PRAIRIE, an area south of Lefevre Road, and west of Sayers Road. Today it is likely on the Mark Knoop property. This name and location furnished to us in Aug 2004 by 81 year old Glenn G. Buirley

SHAWNEE, part of today's Piqua, on the east side of the Miami River. It was once known as Huntersville. Laid out in 1832.

SHELBY COUNTY OHIO, erected in 1 April 1819 from Miami County Ohio

SILVER LAKE (a body of water) shown on a 1875 map of Bethel Township and still shown by that name on 1975 map of Miami County. It is in the southeast quarter of section 6. Its waters flow into Honey Creek just below Tipp City.

SPRINGCREEK TOWNSHIP, in Miami County Ohio. Erected in 1814.

STAUNTON, in Staunton Township of Miami County Ohio. Founded in 1787. Oldest white man settlement in what is now Miami County. It was the first county seat and is now a part of Troy.

STAUNTON TOWNSHIP, in Miami County. Erected in 1819.

STILLWATER SETTLEMENT, an early name for Covington in Newberry Township, Miami County. This is the place where the mouth of the Greenville Creek flows into the Stillwater River. In 1792 this was the site of Mad Anthony Wayne's Fort Rowdy and in 1812 the site of Fort Buchannan (a.k.a. Buchannan's Block House). The town on the site became known as STILLWATER in 1816.

SUGAR GROVE, in Newton Township, Miami County. It is about 1/2 mile west of State Route 48 on the Sugar Grove Road and about two miles north of Pleasant Hill and two miles south of Covington. It is on the west bank of the Stillwater River around 1/2 mile south of the mouth of Panther Creek. It is in the northwest quarter of Section 8, Town 7, Range 5.


TIDEWATER, in Newberry Township of Miami County, just east of State Route 48 on the Piqua-Versailles Pike. About 1915 it was started as a pumping station for crude oil in an huge underground line which ran in a southwest-northeast direction. The pumping station was abandoned during the second world war and the place is now a small group of homes along the south side of the road. It is around five miles north of Covington and 1/2 mile east of the intersection of State Route 48 and the Piqua-Versailles Pike. That intersection was once known as Polo.

TIMMENSBURG, now known as CASSTOWN, in Lostcreek Township, Miami County Ohio. Founded in 1832 .  See Casstown.

TIPP CITY, first known as Tippecanoe. See Tippecanoe. It is located in Monroe Township of Miami County.

TIPPECANOE CITY, in Monroe Township of Miami County was laid out in the fall of 1839 and its plat recorded at the Miami County Courthouse in 1840. It is now known as Tipp City. Other early names associated with the place were Hyattsville, Jaystown, and Sharpsburg.

See pages 424-426 of Beer's 1880 History Of Miami County Ohio for further information.

TROTTER'S CREEK. This is small creek in Newberry Township of Miami County. It is north of Covington and flows into Harris Creek. I have not been able to find the origin of the name, but reportedly there was a John TROTTER who was in that area circa 1814. There is no record in the Miami County Recorder's Office of land owned by such a person.

TROTTERS CREEK SETTLEMENT. Was in Newberry Township, Miami County Ohio. It reportedly was an early area of settlement north of present day Covington where a few families settled at an early date. It does not seem to have been a actual town or place, but consisted of scattered families in the area of Trotters Creek.

Page 15, History Of Covington Ohio (Ralph Boggs) mentions a Mr.Stackhouse who organized the TROTTERS Creek Church in 1820 and the meetings were held in barns and homes. In 1824 Caleb Worley became the pastor and continued as such until 1846 when that church merged with the Covington Christian Church. (now known as The United Church Of Christ.)

Also see TROTTERS CREEK (the stream)


TROY, in Concord and Staunton Townships, Miami County Ohio. It was founded in 1807 and is the county seat.

TWIGHTEEWEE, a Shawnee Indiana Village also known as Upper Piqua. It was located north of present day Piqua Ohio in Washington Township of Miami County Ohio.

See pages starting with 433 in the 1880 History of Miami County. Also see UPPER PIQUA.


UPPER PIQUA, a name sometimes used to refer to a Shawnee Indian village and a British Fort that were located about two miles up the Great Miami River north of present day Piqua Ohio. This was in what is now Washington Township, Miami County Ohio. Also known as Twighteewee. Upper Piqua was the Shawnee headquarters until they abandoned it and went north to Wapakoneta. In the Shawnee tongue the word "piqua" signifies "ashes."

See pages 433-434 in Beer's 1880 History Of Miami County.


VICTORY, a village once located in Bethel Township, Miami County. It was platted in 1839.


WASHINGTON was an early name for the town now known as Piqua in Washington Township of Miami Co. Ohio. It was laid out on the western bank of the Great Miami River and recorded in the Miami County Courthouse on 28 August 1807.

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, in Miami County Ohio was erected in 1807 and is on the west bank of the Great Miami River, with its northern border being the Miami-Shelby County Line. It is bordered on the west by Newberry Township and on the south by Concord Township. The main Indian village of the Old Northwest was in what is now this township.

See pages 433-459 in Beer's 1880 History Of Miami County for further description of the township and its main town Piqua.

WEST CHARLESTON, in Bethel Township, Miami County Ohio was founded in 1807. It is the oldest town in the township and is on what was then the Troy and Dayton Toll Pike (Now State Route 202). It is in Section 27 of Bethel Twp.

WEST COVINGTON, the part of Covington that is on the west side of the Stillwater River. It was founded in 1869 but never taken into the Covington Corporation. It is in Newberry Township, Miami County Ohio.

WEST MILTON, in Union Township, Miami County. It was first known as MILTON, later changed to West Milton. Laid out by John Evans who came from North Carolina in 1806 and laid out 62 lots six miles north of Union. It is said to have been named for John Milton, England's first Puritan.


Return to Main Page

Copyright 1997 by Computerized Heritage Association. All Rights Reserved.