Piqua Daily Call
10 April 1933
A long and useful life has ended with the death of Gilbert F. Fryling, well known automobile salesman and a life long resident of this vicinity, which occurred Saturday night at ten minutes past nine o'clock after an illness of two weeks at his home 335 Riverside Drive. He was 82 years of age at the time of his death. "Gib" Fryling, as he was affectionately called by his host of friends, was born December 22, 1850, at Pasco, Shelby county, one of the seven children of the late John and Sarah Fryling. He was a blacksmith by trade as a young man, plying his trade first in Fletcher and then in Piqua. He was greatly interested in horse racing and as a young man was owner and driver of some of the finest trotters in this section of the country. When but 18 years of age, on August 18, 1868, he married Miss Emma Anderson of near Fletcher. To this union two children were born, Ernest, who died at the age of eight months, and Norah, whose death occurred when she was 13 years of age. Thirty-eight years ago he established himself as a resident of this city and engaged in the blacksmith business. Seeing the possibilities of the automotive industry he operated one of the first automobile agencies in Miami county, selling the old Wescott car. Many of the pioneer automobile owners of not only this city but Miami county bought their first car and learned to drive it from "Gib" Fryling. Later he was associated with the Hemm Brothers Co, as auto salesman, for many years, and was recognized as one of their most able representatives. It was due to his instigation that the first automobile club was organized in this city, the organization growing out of an accident which befell the late John L. Boyer in 1915 when a man shot a hole through the radiator of his car which was enroute to Piqua from Dayton at the time. Mr. Fryling was to investigate the accident, the investigation resulting in the recommendation that an Auto Club be formed for the protection of its members against such instances. The Club was organized Monday, February 22, 1915, with L. E. Chamberlain as president; A. C. Wilson, vice-president, and A. L. Richey, secretary. Mr. Fryling was appointed as head of a committee to look after a map showing the route from Toledo to Cincinnati and from Columbus to Indianapolis,. Since its beginning in February, 1915, Mr. Fryling served as an executive member of the club and on February 18, 1916, was elected as a member of the Board of Directors. On June 5, 1920, he was elected club president, serving until March 3, 1930, when he was elected as the club's honorary Past President, and remaining in that office until his death. He was acknowledged as one of the club's most faithful members and was always ready to act in any capacity when called upon. From January 1916 though 1917 he was Service Director under the mayoralty of the late Judge E. M. Bell. During his term of office he was instrumental in motorizing both the fire and police department. In 1924 he became associated with the C. H. Morse Motor company until his retirement in October 1931. On September 7, 1932, Mr. and Mrs. Fryling celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary. Just one month later Mrs. Fryling died and from the day of her death her husband's health began to fail noticeably, although he was able to be up and around the house until two weeks ago. An adopted daughter, Mrs. R. W. Bender of Piqua, survives him, together with four grandchildren, a brother, Joseph Fryling of Bellefontaine, and a number of nephews and nieces. Funeral services will be held at the late residence, 355 Riverside Drive, at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon. Rev. Paul Gehm officiating, with burial in Forest Hill cemetery.
Return to the Obituary Index Page
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2003 by Computerized Heritage
Association, a subsidiary of The Troy Historical Society.
All Rights Reserved.