Miami Union

March 14, 1912 

HARRETT, MISS ELIZABETH - As a result of being overcome with gas fumes from a kitchen stove Miss Elizabeth Harrett, aged 82, lost her life and Mrs. John Hart, her sister, aged 73, was rendered unconscious at their home in Alcony last Sunday.  Mrs. Hart regained consciousness and will it is believed, recover.  Their condition was discovered shortly after noon Sunday by a neighbor, Ed Cavanaugh, who went to the home and knocked and getting no response he became alarmed and called Dr. Deaton and other neighbors and entrance was effected.  Both women were found unconscious, Miss Harrett in the bedroom and Mrs. Hart sitting in a chair in another room.  It is believed that soot from the chimney put out the flame in the stove in which gas was now being used and the rooms were soon filled with the overpowering fumes.  Dr. Deaton and others worked hard to resuscitate both women but Miss Harrett passed away at 1:45 o'clock.  Miss Harrett had been greatly afflicted having been blind and deaf for many years.  Mrs. Hart showed signs of consciousness Sunday evening and completely regained consciousness Monday morning.  She is now slowly recovering.  She is the widow of John Hart.  Her daughter, Mrs. Ed Ruck, of Piqua, is with her.  Joseph Hart of Miamisburg and formerly of Troy is a son.  The funeral of Miss Harrett was held at the home Wednesday morning being conducted by Rev. J. E. Etter.  Burial was made at Raper Chapel.

Return to the Obituary Index Page

Return to Main Page


Copyright 2008 by Computerized Heritage Association.
All Rights Reserved.