Miami Union

November 2, 1911 

FURROW, J. K. - J. K. Furrow, a veteran of the Civil war, died at his home in Conover Sunday, Oct. 21, age 81 years.  The funeral was held Tuesday forenoon of last week at the residence.  A more extended notice and a tribute by an old comrade in arms will appear in next week's issue of this paper.

Miami Union

November 9, 1911 

FURROW, JOHN K. - John K. Furrow, son of Mathias and Elizabeth Furrow, was born March 27, 1830, and died Oct. 21, 1911.  At the age of 22 years he was married to Margaret Nichols, Nov. 28, 1852, and to this union seven children were born, five sons and two daughters.  One son, Jonathan, died in infancy, and those now living are O. F. of Fletcher; Albert D., Twin Falls, Idaho;, John E. of Walla Walla, Wash.; Dr. E. O., Ashland, O.; and Laura E. Hisey, of Columbiana, O.; and Effie Johnson of Kent, O.  There are also 12 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.  Mr. Furrow was one of a family of nine sisters and four brothers, all of whom have past to the Beyond, but one brother, E. H. Furrow, of Guthrie, Okla.  At the age of 25 years he was lead into the mysteries of the Masonic order, and has continued in good and regular standing until his death.  He was very fond of the brethren and loved them and assisted them very much.  His Masonic tie helped him in the struggles of his long life.  The following tribute is by an old comrade-in-arms: "John E. Furrow enlisted in Co. A, 44th O. V. I., in August, '61 and was made one of the corporals and by gradual promotion became first Sergeant.  After serving two and one-half years he re-enlisted with the regiment and became captain of Co. A, 8th Ohio Cavalry.  On the 23rd of Sept. '64 he was captured at the foot of Saner mountain, West Virginia, and taken to Libby prison.  By the use of "signs and words" he was not long in passing through the red tape business, was exchanged and came back to us.  On the 4th of Jan. '65 he was again captured at Beverly, West Virginia, and taken to Libby.  He had about the same experience as in the first instance and was exchanged and arrived in Columbus, Ohio, in May.  The war being over and he considerably the worse for prison life, he resigned and returned to his home and family.  "When he went into the army he left a wife and three children.  The widow is past 82 and quite feeble from a long siege of caring for him.  Children take good care of mother, the few remaining days of her life, for she surely has borne her burden in the heat of the day'.  The funeral was held Tuesday, Oct. 24, and Rev Bagby of the Baptist church at Fletcher delivered a fine discourse in the Universalist church in Conover, his subject being 'Man must die.'  'Man's allotted time is three score and ten and if by reason of strength he may live to be four score, yet he must die.'  He said, 'Man cannot prevent death, therefore the ______________ for death.'  He was buried at St. Paris, Ohio.  "He was not a member of any church but was a good man and beloved by all. I served with him through the entire service and was closely connected being one of his sergeants and I never heard him speak a profane word, indulge in intoxicating liquors or do anything a good Christian man would not do.  I can say for him, what cannot be said of all officers, that his Company all loved him"  This is probably as good a tribute as can be passed on any officer.  I looked down on his dead body and said to myself, 'I have followed you over many weary miles and now soon I must follow you again.'  ---W. H. Williamson

Return to the Obituary Index Page

Return to Main Page

Copyright 2008 by Computerized Heritage Association.
All Rights Reserved.