September 21, 1911
BURNHAM, DR. REED D. - Dr. Reed D. Burnham, of Piqua, one of Miami county's best known physicians and specialists, died at twelve o'clock noon last Thursday at his home in that city. Death was due to a complication of diseases. He had been in failing health for several months but until four weeks ago was able to attend to his practice. Reed D. Burnham was born in Milford Center on Nov. 26, 1866, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hiram G. Burnham. His father died about twelve years ago, but his mother is still living. Dr. Burnham was educated in the public schools, and then graduated at the Woodstock high school. He went from the high school to the Sterling Medical college at Columbus and graduated with honor in 1894. After practicing medicine for a short time he was made assistant surgeon of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Home at Sandusky where he remained until 1899. In the meantime, he had taken a special course in the treatment of the eye, ear, nose and throat. He came to Piqua in 1899 and opened his office as specialist in diseases of those organs and continued to follow that branch of the profession until the end. His marriage to Miss Margaret McKinney took place June 28, 1905, in Piqua. He is survived by his widow and daughter, Louise Jane, his mother, Mrs. Hiram Burnham, his sister, Miss Carrie Burnham of Mechanicsburg, and two brothers, Vine E. Burnham of Mechanicsburg, and Louis C. Burnham of Milford Center. He was a member of the various Masonic bodies of Piqua and of Coleman Commandery Knights Templar at Troy. He was also active in both the state and county medical associations. Although quiet in manner and modest in demeanor he was highly regarded as a man, a citizen and a friend and his influence was an invigorating and inspiriting one. His standing among those who knew him cannot be better told than in the words of the resolution adopted at a meeting of members of his profession in his home city: "On the death of Dr. Burnham we the physicians of Piqua desire to express our appreciation of him as a worthy and esteemed member of the profession. His industry, his devotion, his high moral integrity, his fearless advocacy of whatever measures he deemed necessary for the happiness and progress of mankind, present a model which should guide the ambition of the young and nerve the arm of riper years. His death marks a distinct loss to the community and to the profession, a loss in that he was a good citizen, a good physician and a good friend." The funeral was held at the home at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon and a great company was present to show the high esteem in which the dead man was held. A profusion of flowers covered the coffin. Dr. Montgomery's sermon was a simple sincere tribute to the worth of him who had gone. The music was given by the Knights Templars quartet, of Troy, the Sir Knights T. B. Kyle, H. A. Cosley, J. W. Stephey and Dr. T. M. Wright. Sympathetically they sang "Nearer My God to Thee," O Holy Savior" and "Still, Still With Thee." At the conclusion of the service conducted by Dr. Montgomery the members of Coleman Commandery, No. 17, Knights Templars, took charge. Eminent Commander R. C. Wolcott of Troy conducting their beautiful ritualistic ceremony. At the conclusion of this solemn and impressive service the casket was carried out to Forest Hill cemetery. At the grave the simple committal services of the Knights Templar and the Masons were conducted. The quartet sang "In the Shades of the Evening" and the service closed with a brief, simple, touching prayer offered by Dr. Montgomery.
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2008 by Computerized Heritage Association.
All Rights Reserved.